Sunday, February 26, 2012

So this is what a Landscape does NOT look like....

So here we are, going into the 10th week of the year and I'm already starting my 10th job of the year. This is definitely putting a dent into my Project 52...





I know it sounds a bit like whining but you have to remember; when I work, I average 12-16 hour days (sometimes even more) for an extended period of time and when I do get time off, I spend most of it catching up on sleep. I worked 4 days this week but I managed to put in 56 hours out of a total of 96. That left 30 hours to myself; now factor in the 1 hour commute each way each day and you're now down to 22 hours down. Divide that by 4 and I was averaging about 5 1/2 hours a night to myself. Not enough time to do much photography... especially when you factor sleep into the equation. I did have today down but I go back to work tomorrow for another 4 day shoot.

What this all boils down to is this; my plan to shoot a landscape picture with my brand new ND Grad filters is pretty much a bust. Not gonna happen.

I did manage to bring my camera to set this week though, so in place of a beautiful panoramic view of some wonderful landscape, you'll just have to do with a few production stills for the commercial I was working on this week; a Citroen commercial.

Camera Rig
 We spent two days shooting at the GM Centre in Oshawa, home of the Oshawa Generals (Trivia: Did you know that Bobby Orr and Eric Lindros were both Oshawa Generals? I didn't...). 

The commercial was done completely on the rink so needless to say we spent a lot of time down at ice level. This is definitely one of the more interesting camera rigs I've come across. The camera was on a motorized rig on the back of the jeep and it would rotate around the actor as he skated around the rink, alternating between him being a figure skater (which he really was) and a hockey player.

Our 1st AD
Just waiting for the talent to get into position.

Some of our extra's
No high art here, just a couple of our extras hanging out on set.

Limbering Up
Literally the only props we had on this job were the Figure Skating judging booth and pucks for the hockey players. We had a whole bucket of pucks... sadly, about half of them went missing. Big surprise....

Getting some direction from our Stunt Coordinator
At least I think he was our coordinator... a good percentage of our crew was french so it was a little hard to figure out what everyone's job was. Made for some pretty complicated days to say the least.

Well, that's about it for this week. Not what I had intended but it's better than nothing. I had high hopes for the landscape picture this week but as I said at the beginning, real life has a tendency to get in the way sometimes. Hopefully I can get back on track for next week. I only have two jobs next week....


No comments:

Post a Comment