Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Day at the Brickworks

(This is a post I was working on way back in April of last year. I have no idea why I never bothered to post it. Here it is now for what it's worth)

So last week I had an opportunity to take my camera to work again. This time we were shooting at the Evergreen Brick Works. From 1889 to the 1980s the Don Valley Brick Works was one of Canada’s pre-eminent brickyards. At its peak more than 43 million bricks a year were manufactured for use in the construction of homes and buildings across Canada. 

 Now, the Brick Works is a community environmental centre that inspires and equips visitors to live, work and play more sustainably. Evergreen, a national charity, has transformed the former Don Valley Brick Works from a collection of deteriorating heritage buildings into an international showcase for urban sustainability and green design.

This place was a goldmine for photography! Although I didn't get a chance to snap many pics (too many odd looks from the higher ups...) some of the ones I did get were pretty good. This is definitely a place I have to go back to in the near future!

The "Freaky" Bird
Out back of the Brick Works there is a marsh area that use to be the quarry for the factory. They've turned it into a kind of eco bird sanctuary. As I was walking to set, this guy sprang up from the marsh and flew over my head. I managed to snap this quickly (that's why it isn't in perfect focus). It took a while to identify this fellow (Thank you Facebook commentators...) as a Cormorant. At least I think it's a Cormorant....

The Brick works
 One of the old buildings as you look south across the marsh. The Marsh was our first location of the day.

Abandon but not Forgotten
There was graffiti everywhere at this sight. Although I'm not a big fan, it definitely adds to the atmosphere of the location.
Add caption
 Yet another bird I can't identify (get the feeling I don't know a heck of a lot about birds?). This little guy seems perfectly use to people; I was only about 3 feet away when I shot this.

Some kind of Hawk
There were a pair of hawks circling over our unit for a good portion of the day. I managed to get one really good pic. Oh how I wish I had the Sigma 150-500....

Lunch Time
There was a whole bunch of bird houses in the central area and they were a constant source of entertainment throughout the day.

View of the City
The city of Toronto is clearly visible from the Brick Works. Kind of a neat perspective of the CN Tower from the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment